I developed Hair Tool addon for blender to simplify creation process of low/medium poly hair models
This addon will help you generate hair mesh ribbons with uv’s from bezier/nurbs curves. It is how most current games are doing hairs for characters.
- generating curves from mesh surfaces
- adding bevel profile to curves thus making them into curve ribbons
- easy and convenient switching back and forth between curve ribbons and mesh, while preserving mesh uv’s
- ability to adjust ribbons radius profile over strand length to taper the ribbons shape
Tutorial about using this addon, with some tips and tricks, problem solving and stuff: https://youtu.be/WE0aBe8SNls
Video about hair shader: https://vimeo.com/229043427
Video about creating texture: https://vimeo.com/228873075
Features added in Hair Tool 1.2:
- normalized scale for generated ribbons (bigger ribbons for bigger objects, smaller ribbons for small object). Apply scale first for mesh from which you generate ribbons.
- normalized hair generations (similar look of generated strands for small and big objects). Apply scale first for source grid mesh.
- improved ‘strands generation from Particle hair’ – operation will update previously generated ribbons if exist (before it would create new child ribbons each time )
- added ‘Randomize Tilt’ operator
- added ‘Smooth Tilt’ operator
- added ‘Randomize Spacing’ option when generating curve hairs from surface
- added ‘Uniform’ option (for hair spacing, and strand points) when generating curve hairs from surface
- Bugfixing and UI tweaking.
That is it. There are some examples of hair made with above technique. You will need some manual work obviously to tweak the hair looks
Hair Tool addon examples
You can buy this addon from Gumroad